US Reports First Case of New COVID-19 Strain, India’s Tally Reaches 20
The United States and Chile are the latest countries to report cases of the new strain of coronavirus. The new variant was first detected in the United Kingdom in mid-December. To control the spread, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson had already approved placing more regions under the highest level of restrictions.
According to the British health chief, England is “back in the eye” of the COVID-19 storm as it has recorded a similar number of patients in the hospital as during its initial peak in April. The new strain is said to be more transmissible and is spreading fast across the world. Though the numbers are likely to surge, according to doctors it can be controlled by a vaccine.
1. In The United States, the first case of a new strain was reported in Colorado. The patient, who is a man in his 20s, has no travel history. He has been isolated in Southeast Denver in Elbert County.
2. On Wednesday, 14 fresh cases of new coronavirus mutant strain were reported in India taking the total to 20. The government has instructed genome sequencing of samples from all passengers who arrived in the country between December 9-22 and have tested positive or were symptomatic.
3. Chile recorded its first case of a new variant on Tuesday. According to the Chilean undersecretary of health, Paula Daza, a Chilean woman who arrived from London on December 22 had tested positive.
4. Indonesia has already banned passengers arriving from the UK, and imposing strict rules for those arriving from Australia and Europe. Now, no one will be allowed to enter the country for at least two weeks. Indonesia’s foreign minister Retno Marsudi said that the new order will come into effect from January 1.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates