Odisha Teen Electrocuted While Taking Selfie Atop Train: Look at India’s Dubious Distinction of Highest Selfie Deaths
P Surya Kumar, a 13-year-old boy from Chandra Sahi, electrocuted while taking a selfie on the top of a train coach at the Paralakhemundi railway station in Gajapati district of Odisha on Wednesday. The coach caught fire and services on Naupada-Gunupur route were affected after the accident.
The New Indian Express quotes eye witnesses saying that the three teenagers started taking selfies with the Covid isolation coach in the absence of the beat constable. One of them climbed on the top of the coach, while two others waited for their turn.
“The teenager came in contact with the high voltage live wire when he was taking his selfie. He fell down from the coach, which also caught fire thereafter. Two of his friends who attempted to rescue him also sustained injuries. The three were immediately rushed to the nearby hospital where one succumbed to the injuries,” the sources told New Indian Express.
The newspaper sources placed at the East Coast Railway (ECoR) said the jute mat of the coach caught fire. The fire was brought under control quickly. The Railway Protection Force (RPF) is investigating the matter.
“They sneaked into the coach area when the beat constable was away from the spot. The condition of two others is stable and they are out of danger,” ECoR Chief PRO Kaushalendra Kishore Khadanga said.
According to a study conducted by the US National Library of Medicine, India has the highest number of recorded selfie deaths in the world. From 2011 to 2017, India reported close to half of the overall 259 fatalities due to selfies worldwide.
Subscribe for newsletter
* You will receive the latest news and updates