The Supreme Court on Monday allowed Puri’s Rath Yatra to be held on June 23, saying it is not possible to “micro-manage” the rituals for the court and the state, the Centre and temple management should deal with the issue. Earlier on June 18, the Supreme Court said in its order that this year’s Rath Yatra can not be allowed in the interest of public health and safety, adding that “Lord Jagannath won’t forgive us if we allow” it.

However, the Odisha government informed the bench headed by Chief Justice SA Bobde that the state is willing to coordinate with the temple management and the Centre to ensure a safe celebration.

The Centre informed the Supreme Court bench, which comprised Justices Dinesh Maheswari and AS Bopanna, that the Rath Yatra can be held with co-operation of the temple trust, without risking the health of the citizens.

The Apex court added that the green signal for the Rath Yatra is only for Puri and not for other places in Odisha.

Following the verdict, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said the “entire nation is delighted by the decision”.

“Today is a special day for all of us, particularly our Odia sisters and brothers as well as devotees of Mahaprabhu Shri Jagannath Ji. The entire nation is delighted by the decision of the Supreme Court to ensure the Rath Yatra goes on,” Shah said.